Anosmia

THIS BLOG IS ABOUT LIFE AS AN ANOSMIC - SOMEONE WITHOUT A SENSE OF SMELL. I AM A 22 YEAR OLD MA STUDENT IN LONDON AND HAVEN'T HAD A WHIFF OF ANYTHING IN ABOUT 15 YEARS. I AM WRITING THIS TO RAISE AWARENESS OF THIS INVISIBLE DISABILITY AND WILL UPDATE EVERY TIME THERE'S SOMETHING TO WRITE ABOUT.

Sunday 12 May 2013

Ben Cohen

I know I haven't posted anything here in a while, but I didn't want this to be a blog where I just moan about how rubbish being anosmic is, but a blog which actually has some useful information on not having a sense of smell, which was actually interesting to read. So here is a fun fact: Ben Cohen, the co-founder of Ben and Jerry's ice cream is also an anosmic. This is why their ice cream is known for being chunky, as in order to compensate for his lack of taste, he would add big pieces of fruit or chocolate to satisfy his need for texture in food.

I've already mentioned on here before how my sense of taste is heavily compromised from being ansomic and that texture is one thing I largely rely on in order to gather a sense of how food should taste. So this ice cream suddenly makes a lot of sense and I'm not just saying that to try and justify how much of it I eat. I've just gotten over a cold, which made me aware of the best description I could possibly try to give about how having anosmia effects your sense of taste; it's like eating with a blocked nose. Except you can actually breathe.

Still haven't heard anything regarding my referral, but I am going to chase them up about this week, if even to try and get some idea of where I am on the waiting list. I think the thing that still frustrates me the most is that I have no idea of the cause of my anosmia. I think knowing that would give me a lot of closure on the subject, rather than this endless frustration. Phantom smells are still playing a large part in my life, this time with the ghost of burning, which is the most common form phantosmia takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment