Anosmia

THIS BLOG IS ABOUT LIFE AS AN ANOSMIC - SOMEONE WITHOUT A SENSE OF SMELL. I AM A 22 YEAR OLD MA STUDENT IN LONDON AND HAVEN'T HAD A WHIFF OF ANYTHING IN ABOUT 15 YEARS. I AM WRITING THIS TO RAISE AWARENESS OF THIS INVISIBLE DISABILITY AND WILL UPDATE EVERY TIME THERE'S SOMETHING TO WRITE ABOUT.

Tuesday 15 October 2013

4 points, 100% anosmic

I went back to see Mr Philpott at the Spire hospital yesterday to have another smell test. This was exactly the same as the one that I had at my initial appointment with him to gauge the full extent of my anosmia; a number of 'sniffin' sticks' done blindfolded and a few with a visual stimulus to see if that could prompt any olfactory reaction. I thought I did rather well at this bit and there were many that I answered confidently. It was interesting to note that half of the images I was told the smell could be I have no memory of smelling, so a lot of it was done by me assuming that the smell would be similar to the taste. These images included various fruits, honey, wood, leather, smoke, wine etc.

I then had another nasal endoscopy to have a look at the inside of my nose to see if everything had healed well from the surgery; which it has done! Mr Philpott then discussed the results of my smell test with me. I had improved by four points since before the surgery. Which is nothing, basically. Especially as three of those were fluke; I had simply managed to match the smell to the right image accidentally. The only one I got right was peppermint. This means that I am still what they would call 100% anosmic. I needed eight more points in order to move into the next category which is 'diminished sense of smell'. 

Mr Philpott said that there was nothing more that they could do for me. He would be interested to see me in another three months from a purely academic point of view, to see why the surgery hadn't worked, which I think I will do. Because quite honestly, I would quite like to know too.

I don't really want to go into how obviously disappointing this is for me. I will keep at my smell training with the essential oils and I keep an eye on any medical advances that are made in the anosmia field in the future, just in case another alternative presents itself. I know I said before that I thought I could smell sometimes and even though that turns out to now be purely just psychological and not real, it's better than nothing at all.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jesselyn, I just found your blog... it's great to meet you:) I'm sorry to hear about your follow-up visit :( I know how frustrating it is to have anosmia as I have it too :(

    I haven't been doing any specific smell training but 6 months after my accident started a food blog as I felt this was the only way I could reconnect with food i.e. art & science. Anyway, I'd like to stay in touch and I'd love you to come and visit me at http://ladymacaron20ten.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/masterchef-lolly-bag-cake-by-evil.html

    ReplyDelete