Anosmia

THIS BLOG IS ABOUT LIFE AS AN ANOSMIC - SOMEONE WITHOUT A SENSE OF SMELL. I AM A 22 YEAR OLD MA STUDENT IN LONDON AND HAVEN'T HAD A WHIFF OF ANYTHING IN ABOUT 15 YEARS. I AM WRITING THIS TO RAISE AWARENESS OF THIS INVISIBLE DISABILITY AND WILL UPDATE EVERY TIME THERE'S SOMETHING TO WRITE ABOUT.

Wednesday 9 October 2013

A very delayed post-surgery message

I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to post. I've been unbelievably busy, so I'll try and update you in everything that has happened and I will try and keep it short.

So... the plastic splints! They ended up looking something like this, and ended up reaching right to the back of my nose (as you can sort of see in the bottom left hand image) and were basically horrific.


There was no magic moment in regaining my smell, once they were out, more just relief that I could wiggle my nose again. I could then also stick a finger up it and prod around my septum so I could figure out exactly what the damage was. And basically, I had a massive chunk taken out of it. If you could see up my nose you would be able to see the most impressive scarring ever, but luckily you can't and so it's impossible to tell that I ever had surgery!

And now, 3 months later? Well, there has been some improvement! Which is pretty amazing actually. It will be a very gradual process, and I have an appointment next Thursday to go back and see Mr Philpott to have another smell test so we can gauge exactly what improvement there has been. Smell is weird, because I still have no idea how much of it is psychological. So I don't know if I am starting to smell things, or if I'm just thinking that I can because I know I should be. I'm doing smell training every day, which involves smelling different essential oils, and some days I can name them, and some days I can't. But most days I can actually detect when there is a smell under my nose, which I could never even dream of doing before.

No comments:

Post a Comment