Anosmia

THIS BLOG IS ABOUT LIFE AS AN ANOSMIC - SOMEONE WITHOUT A SENSE OF SMELL. I AM A 22 YEAR OLD MA STUDENT IN LONDON AND HAVEN'T HAD A WHIFF OF ANYTHING IN ABOUT 15 YEARS. I AM WRITING THIS TO RAISE AWARENESS OF THIS INVISIBLE DISABILITY AND WILL UPDATE EVERY TIME THERE'S SOMETHING TO WRITE ABOUT.

Wednesday 20 February 2013

Five hurried hang ups later...

So a month after I went to the university medical centre I thought I should probably chase up this whole referral thing with Spire Hospital. After five attempts I finally left a voicemail with Mr. Philpott's secretary. I dislike voicemails because I find it very easy to ramble on without anyone to interrupt me. Much like this blog I suppose. Anyway, she returned my phone call about an hour later with the news that yes, they have got my referral.

But no, I won't be getting an appointment anytime soon as they've got a very long waiting list and they like to priorities the patients that they know they can treat. With my unidentified cause of anosmia, I don't fit into this category.

I got a little bit upset about this, which seems ridiculous I know. I was always aware that I was never going to definitely be able to get an appointment. I think it's just that I managed to get so close and was so elatedly happy that I can't help but feel a little disappointed now. I suppose life just goes on for me as normal and I just need to come to terms with the fact that this is normal for me.

Sometimes I wish anosmia was something that was visibly wrong with a person. Perhaps then people would take it more seriously and appreciate how awful life is without a sense of smell. Since starting this blog I have been overwhelmed with sympathy and encouragement from my friends I do really appreciate that, but it to reach a wider audience. I mean, even the doctors draw a blank stare when I tell them.

I accept that there are going to be some things that I am never going to be able to smell; bread baking, the flowers at my wedding, frying bacon, a boyfriend's shirt... And I guess that's okay.

 Maybe one day I'll get my appointment and who knows where the medical world will be in ten years time? 

No comments:

Post a Comment